Friday, August 23, 2013

North Carolina Graduated License

In North Carolina, a person between the ages of 15 and 18 can get a graduated license which over time will results in their full drivers license. 

The attached information shows the process and limitations for each step.

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Do not pay off that out of state ticket

In most cases, you do not want to pay off an out of state ticket.  For North Carolina drivers, an out of state ticket for driving more than 15 mph over the speed limit or more than 80 MPH will cause you license to be suspended in NC.  You should always check with an attorney in your licensing state before you resolve an out of state ticket.

Friday, August 16, 2013

You should rarely pay a traffic ticket without going to court for a reduction

While there are some NC traffic tickets you can just pay off, it is not normally a good idea. You should at a minimum, contact an attorney for a free consultation. In most cases, if the attorney cannot get you a better result, they will then tell you to pay off the ticket without a court appearance.
If you should just pay the ticket, see below for advise as to how to do it.

Monday, August 12, 2013

Out of State Drivers with NC ticket

If you are licensed in a state other than NC, and you receive a ticket in NC, you will need to check with your local DMV to see how the ticket will affect your driving record and insurance as each state has different rules for out of state tickets.

Friday, August 2, 2013

No Operators License

A no operators license charge can cause many difficulties.  In addition to being a class 2 misdemeanor, it carries 3 driving points and one insurance point.  A couple of these can result in a suspension.  It is important to make sure you do not plead to a NOL during a time of revocation or you can be suspended for an additional year.

For more on this go to

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Motion for Appropriate Relief

In the North Carolina court system, a post-conviction challenge to a conviction or sentence, whether after a jury trial or a guilty plea, involves filing a motion for appropriate relief, often called an MAR. This type of litigation is simply what its name implies: a request for whatever relief a defendant seeks, whether a dismissal of all charges, a new trial, or a new sentencing hearing. 

With regard to traffic matters, this is mostly used to get or remove a Prayer for Judgment or to reopen a case when a there is insurance impact due to the mishandling of a matter.